Skip to content

Cruise: Day 8 – a change in plans

September 13, 2010

Or: the port that wasn’t.

This is it, the last full day on the Rotterdam. Breakfast is in the room again, then we head to the Showroom at Sea for the disembarkation talk by the cruise director. It’s funny, and ends with a song-and-dance number by representatives from all members of the ship’s staff, from the dishwashers to the officers.

Next it’s to the photo gallery, to buy our formal night portrait along with a photo of the Rotterdam in a nice portfolio, courtesy of my travel agent friend, Stella, at Tour Plan International. (She also gave us yummy chocolate-covered strawberries that were waiting in our cabin on our first day.)

There’s a sale on the Lido deck of shirts and hats from the various ports, and we of course swing by for one last bargain: three shirts for $20. Next, I need to figure out how to pack all our goodies while Mom takes a quick nap. We have lunch in the Lido, then I head to the Explorations Lounge to go online and check in for our flights. Ah, sweet computer!  Oh, heavenly internet! Oh, sweet nectar of the gods! I give into temptation after checking in, and find myself going beyond my precious, expensive minutes. Oh well, it’s worth it.

Today is the last bingo game, with the grand prize being a free cruise if you get the coverall within a certain number of numbers. We arrive early, and catch the last half of the passenger talent show finals, which is fun. I get within two numbers of winning, but alas, it’s not to be.

We plan on an early dinner in the Lido, since we’re due to dock in Victoria at 6 p.m. As we hang out (eating ice cream!) after dinner, waiting for the docking, the captain announces that we won’t be seeing Victoria. Seems like the winds are too high to dock and it isn’t safe. Instead, we drop anchor offshore for several hours, and Canadian customs officers come to the ship to satisfy the Jones Act.

I had been looking forward to strolling the Inner Harbor, since Charlie and I went to Victoria on our honeymoon years ago. We chat with Agus, who’s also disappointed because he was planning on going ashore. Instead, we head back to the cabin. The partition between our balcony and the neighbor’s balcony is loose, and slamming wildly in the wind, so I call to have it fixed. Then we spend some time relaxing on the balcony, with the skyline teasing us.

We see another cruise ship and several freighters all anchored offshore due to the conditions. It may be windy, but it’s beautiful, with blue skies. The wake from the ships must have stirred up some food source for the gulls, for they’re everywhere around the balcony.

We get our luggage outside the door so the luggage fairies will carry it off the ship for us, and settle in to watch Wind Talkers, with the last delivery of milk and cookies.


From → Alaska, Elder travel

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s